University Alliance > Ladders of Opportunity > Mohamed Conteh, BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance

Mohamed Conteh, BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance

University of Greenwich

Mohamed is a former infantry soldier who joined the Rifles Regiment of the British Army in 2008. He undertook two tours in Afghanistan in 2009 and 2011, alongside several overseas exercises.  After six years in the armed forces, Mohamed decided to leave military life for a career in finance.

The transition to Civvy Street is always hard for ex-service-people and it was complicated further for Mohamed by family bereavement and housing issues. The University of Greenwich provided him extra support to succeed.

Now a Finance Officer at an NHS organisation which provides support to clinical commissioners, Mohamed’s dream is to be a Chartered Accountant, and he is studying his Association of Chartered Certified Accountants qualification.

Fifteen years ago I was living in Sierra Leone and I would not have thought of going to university. Greenwich understands that everyone has different circumstances and is battling a different fight. They understood it was a transition in my life and created a platform for me to get the help I needed. – Mohamed Conteh