University Alliance > Ladders of Opportunity > Sam Baker, BA (Hons) Business Administration

Sam Baker, BA (Hons) Business Administration

University of Brighton

As a school student, Sam failed to get the A-level grades he needed to embark on a degree. But the University of Brighton offered him the chance to study an HND and then to progress to a Degree Top-Up course. Sam went on to graduate from Brighton’s Business School with a BA (Hons) Business Administration in 2003.

After graduation, Sam joined On Screen Trading as a trader before stepping up to become a director at ARB Capital. He joined OSTC in 2011 and is now a Managing Director.

And similar to how his studies at Brighton opened doors for him, Sam organises an annual financial trading competition to help the university’s business students sharpen their work skills. The annual OSTC Trading Challenge, which pits Brighton’s students with those from their neighbours at the University of Sussex, enables students to trade, in a virtual environment, through futures derivatives in a number of products including; commodities, equities and fixed income.

I loved my time at the University of Brighton. They saw my potential and gave me the opportunity to develop. They also supported me when things got tough – including giving me financial assistance when my car was broken into and my clothes were stolen – Sam Baker

Back to case studies