Salary: £35,000 per annum
FTE: Full-time (working 37.5 hours per week
Duration of Contract: Fixed term contract, 12 September -21 December 2022
University Alliance operates an agile working model where staff have the option to work the majority of the week remotely with access to a ‘touchdown’ space on one of the campuses of our member universities (Coventry University’s London campus) for times when physical presence is required or preferred for performing job roles. This is subject to change depending on government guidelines relating to the pandemic.
The *touchdown space is a modern, secure, bright, roomy shared spaced predominantly for the use of Coventry University’s student alumni and enterprise students. The space is not a traditional office space, it operates a clear desk space with Wi-Fi and access to printing facilities and its primary use is for collaborative working with colleagues across the organisation. We also have access to a room booking system for meetings and tea and coffee making facilities.
About the role
University Alliance (UA) is looking for an ambitious and independent communications professional to cover a fixed-term vacancy in our Senior Communications Officer role. This would make a good opportunity for an early-career communications professional. The ideal candidate will have a good knowledge and experience of communications tactics and have an interest in higher education, politics, social media and press engagement.
This is a particularly exciting and challenging time in the university sector, with a fast-paced political environment, big policy changes on the horizon and a great deal of political and media scrutiny. This is an opportunity to work as part of a small and agile team at the heart of the action as we advocate on behalf of our member universities within this context. You will interact with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels, and contribute to the wider work of an effective influencing organisation.
- Play a key role in the planning and delivery of reactive and proactive media plans; identify potential news stories, craft press releases, draft responsive media comments, build own network of journalists, deliver successful media interventions and undertake media monitoring.
- Produce compelling content for a range of channels that communicates our mission and helps to engage and influence key decision-makers including drafting articles, blogs, newsletters, case studies and producing or sourcing accompanying multimedia content.
- Maintain a planning grid and work across the team to identify upcoming communications events, opportunities and press interventions to ensure UA’s communications are timely and relevant.
- Maintain social media accounts and grow our digital presence by developing engaging content and creating multi-media communications materials for social and our website. Monitor and evaluate UA’s social and digital activity.
- Support the planning and delivery of impactful campaign activity; including working with member universities and other stakeholders to coordinate involvement.
- You will have excellent communication skills, able to produce clear and effective messaging and engaging content.
- You will have the initiative and ability to proactively identify opportunities to get our work out there across varying communications channels.
- You will be confident dealing with the media and have an understanding of the most effective means for reaching key influencers.
- You will have a good knowledge and experience of delivering effective social media activity and an understanding of web content management systems.
Full job description here
Closing date: 11.59pm Sunday 24 July 2022
How to apply
To apply, please review the job description and apply via an email with the subject line: Communications and Press Officer to email@example.com
- An up-to-date CV of no more than two sides of A4.
- A cover letter of no more than two sides of A4 addressing why you are interested in working for University Alliance and how your knowledge, skills and experience meets the requirements of the role.
Please also mention where you saw the job advertised.
We would be happy to arrange for an informal chat about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Interview date: Interviews via MS Teams
Thursday 4th and Friday 5th August 2022
The selection process will include a panel interview, and a task to be confirmed on invitation to interview
Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment as we reserve the right to close vacancy prior to the published closing date. If you have not heard from us within 28 days of the closing date, please consider that you have not been successful at shortlisting stage.
Job application guidance is available here