University Alliance brings together 22 leading global universities for science, technology, design and the professions.
- educate 22% of all students in the UK – including 1 in 4 of all STEM students, 1 in 3 design undergraduates, 30% nursing students, 22% training teaching and over 70,000 international students (17% total)
- deliver 50% of all sandwich courses
- have over 300 research units undertaking world class research
- with over 50% of our research income in STEM-related areas
- 1/3 of all UK research teams undertaking world class research in Allied Health, 1/4 of all those in General Engineering, Architecture and the Built Environment
- employ over 60,000 people, including 22,000 research staff (1 in 6 of all researchers in the UK)
- have a turnover of £3.9bn with an estimated economic impact of £8.75bn
- lead the enterprise and entrepreneurship agenda with over 21,000 business links (including 14,000 SMEs) and
- 50% of all turnover and 40% of all jobs from UK graduate start-ups
Together our aim is to help build a strong future for UK universities by creating a positive and constructive space for debate and new ideas. In doing so we hope to tackle the big issues facing universities, people and the economy.
Alliances universities are… Connecting Research & Growth
Alliance universities have been in the business of meeting economic need for over 100 years, many established as institutes of engineering and design to meet the needs of the industrial revolution. Alliance universities have distinct approach to combining science, engineering and technology with design and the creative industries. They have a deep understanding of the industrial and commercial strengths of their local economy through close connections with the world around them. Research at Alliance universities forms an essential part of the UK’s research and innovation landscape.
Alliance universities are… Transforming Lives
With 80% of new jobs in high-skill areas it is vital that we have a system that enables all those who have the ambition and ability to succeed at university to do so. Our universities work closely with employers to provide over 50% of year long work placements, and have a reputation for addressing barriers to access and equipping graduates with the skills and abilities needed to secure employment. They take a diverse range of students and offer them a research and practice informed learning experience. This enhances their employability skills and, as a result, Alliance graduates have some of the highest rates of graduate-level
employment in the UK.
Alliance universities are… Focusing on the Future
The central role of universities within our innovation-based economy is a significant focus for University Alliance. We know that our universities are providing more than just degrees – they are critical to the future growth of the economy. As major deliverers of highly employable and enterprising graduates, Alliance universities are critical to our changing economy. Their innovative, global and entrepreneurial approach is enabling individuals and communities to adapt to new opportunities and challenges by building their creativity, agility, resilience, flexibility and global presence. Alliance universities have a broad base of some of the most selective courses in the country to support this.