Read University Alliance’s submission to the Comprehensive Spending Review – ‘Skills for new growth’.
We have also summarised the key priorities for skills for new growth for the Government to bear in mind ahead of the CSR.
- Numbers. More graduates are needed to keep pace with growing demand for higher skills. The cap on student numbers must remain off.
- Access. Student Opportunity Funding enables universities to attract and support disadvantaged students. Maintaining the fund will boost both social mobility and the supply of skills.
- Teaching excellence. The new Teaching Excellence Framework must recognise differences between higher education providers, encourage innovation and incentivise universities to share good practice. It should be introduced in phases and recognise institutions with the most diverse intakes.
- Flexible learning. The funding system should incentivise – not stifle – universities, colleges and businesses working in partnership to offer flexible learning.
- Immigration. Overseas students must be taken out of the net migration target to ensure UK students benefit from an international environment and to maintain the strength of higher education as a major export industry.
Click on the document (right) to read our full submission.