UA responds to the Stern Review of the REF
University Alliance has issued its response to Lord Stern’s review of the Research Excellence Framework. Its recommendations include:
- The REF should recognise and reward dynamism by using productivity measures, examining research income input against research quality output.
- National research data infrastructure should be developed as a one-stop shop for information for researchers and the HE sector more broadly.
- The analytical function and expertise which has been built up around the REF should form the nucleus of a national research analysis unit, informing the entire UK research and innovation ecosystem in an advisory role to Research UK when it is formed.
- Environment and impact should be assessed at Panel level within the REF so that challenge-based and interdisciplinary research are fully captured.
- Consultation should take place with the research community on establishing common currencies and units to measure impact.
- The REF must retain a selective staff approach to avoid contractual changes which would be to the detriment of the UK research ecosystem.
Click here or on the image to read our full submission.