Salary: £48,000 to £53,000 per annum dependent on skills and experience
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hrs per week)
About the role
University Alliance (UA) is looking for an experienced Head of Communications and External Affairs to lead the communications and external affairs of the organisation, working closely with the Chief Executive, Policy and Programme Teams, as well as teams across our growing membership.
This is a senior leadership role working closely with the Chief Executive to develop and deliver a proactive communications and external affairs strategy to promote the UA mission, champion the strengths of UA members, secure positive media coverage and generate stakeholder and political influence for our policy messages. In doing this, you will engage Government, Parliament, Whitehall, Devolved Administrations, funding councils, sector agencies/bodies, national academies, industry representatives and the media.
You will also provide support to the Chief Executive as part of the Senior Management Team with line management responsibilities for 1 member of staff.
University Alliance operates an agile working model where staff have the option to work the majority of the week remotely with access to a ‘touchdown’ space on one of the campuses of our member universities (Coventry University’s London campus) for times when physical presence is required or preferred for performing job roles. This is subject to change depending on government guidelines relating to the pandemic.
The *touchdown space is a modern, secure, bright, roomy shared spaced predominantly for the use of Coventry University’s student alumni and enterprise students. The space is not a traditional office space, it operates a clear desk space with Wi-Fi and access to printing facilities and its primary use is for collaborative working with colleagues across the organisation. We also have access to a room booking system for meetings and tea and coffee making facilities.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To develop and deliver an effective and impactful communications strategy that brings to life the UA vision, mission and strategies; strengthens the UA brand and voice; champions the expertise of UA institutions, and provides a collective voice for our members on key strategic issues.
- To develop and deliver effective external affairs, engagement and campaign strategies to influence Government, Parliament, Whitehall, Devolved Administrations, funding councils, sector agencies/bodies, national academies and industry representatives.
- To build an effective and trusted network of communication and external affairs colleagues across our membership and in the Higher Education sector more widely.
- To play a key role as a member of the Senior Management Team in leading and shaping the longer- term strategic direction of the University Alliance.
Experience and skills required
- Substantial experience in a senior PR / external affairs / communications, media and public affairs
- Experience of working at senior / national level and with Government and / or politicians and senior
- Proven capability to develop and deliver effective communication and public strategies to deliver strategic organisational priorities.
Full job description with responsibilities and experience and skills required here
Closing date: 11.59pm Wednesday 13th August 2021
How to apply
To apply, please review the job description and apply via an email with the subject line: Head of Communications and External affairs to email@example.com
- An up-to-date CV of no more than two sides of A4.
- A cover letter of no more than two sides of A4 addressing why you are interested in working for University Alliance and how your knowledge, skills and experience meets the requirements of the role.
Please also mention where you saw the job advertised.
Closing date: 11.59pm Wednesday 11th August 2021
Interview date: Interviews via MS Teams
First interview W/c 23rd August 2021
Second interview W/c 30th August 2021
The selection process will include an interview, and a task to be confirmed on invitation to interview.
Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment as we reserve the right to close vacancy prior to the published closing date. If you have not heard from us within 28 days of the closing date, please consider that you have not been successful at shortlisting stage.
Job application guidance is available here