We have also summarised the key priorities for research and innovation funding we are calling on Government to bear in mind ahead of the CSR.
- Investment. Research funding boosts UK growth and productivity and attracts high levels of inward investment. Government must invest at competitive levels through the dual support system.
- Research excellence. Because competition drives quality, research funding for universities should continue to be allocated “wherever excellence is found”.
- Collaboration. Funding bodies must reward collaborative and interdisciplinary research. Collaboration not only fosters innovation but guards against duplication and inefficiency.
- Knowledge exchange. National knowledge exchange schemes improve the innovation capacity of businesses through investment in human capital. Funding could be streamlined for national and regional objectives – but support must be retained.
- Science and innovation. The Government’s science and innovation audits need to capture the wide range of university-business partnerships. This must include activities with small- and medium-sized enterprises.
Click on the document (right) to read what we are calling on the Government to support.