Commenting on ‘Protecting the public interest in higher education’, published by HEPI, University Alliance Chief Executive Maddalaine Ansell said:
“Bill Rammell’s report is right to draw attention to the significant public benefit created by universities. Institutions with a strong civic mission, such as those in University Alliance, make a huge contribution to both the economic prosperity and social wellbeing of their cities and regions. As our recent series of reports on the regional leadership role of universities highlights, this includes playing a key role in the skills, innovation and health and wellbeing ecosystems as well as tackling inequalities.
“As government begins developing its new industrial strategy, the potential for universities to develop untapped potential for growth should be recognised and supported.”
Notes to editors:
- HEPI’s policy paper can be found here.
- This year University Alliance has published a series of reports on the regional leadership role of universities:
- On health and wellbeing: Building Healthy Cities
- On tackling inequality and creating opportunities: Supporting Thriving Communities
- On innovation and supporting regional growth: Creating Innovative Regions
- On skills: Developing Productive Places